Adventures In Breadmaking: Focaccia!

So today, I decide to try making focaccia for the first time.


Growing up, I had the luxury of a having a really well-stocked small family-owned grocery store in my neighborhood.


So, I got to enjoy grabbing groceries like fresh baked ciriola rolls, focaccia, pickled olives, yogurt, peanut butter on demand, and coffee.


Bread has always been one of those love hate things with me because of the yeast. I do like eating unleavened breads and crackers.



However, there is something so fascinating yet repulsive about eating bread with yeast or using yeast when baking.


When pressed for time, it’s easier for me to make a lemon berry quick bread, banana bread, or zucchini or carrot bread.


But when it’s the holiday season or I feel up to the challenge, I reach for the yeast, flour and get to it!


Now usually when I proof yeast, I try to add some warm milk or a tablespoon or two of sugar. Today, I chose a focaccia recipe that only calls for five ingredients:


  • Flour

  • Salt

  • Yeast

  • Olive oil

  • Warm water


I measured out ingredients for a half version of the recipe to start, only to start eyeballing measurements to follow the initial full version recipe.


Because my water was so darn hot, I added extra cool water to temper it, so as to not kill the yeast.


I was curious about how much my dough would rise in a cold refrigerator, especially without including sugar to activate the yeast.


It’s not as bubbly as I would like but it is definitely hydrated AF.


I’m so grateful for my husband for getting me a bottle of olive oil, considering climate change challenges impacting olive trees and rising prices. Thanks, honey, for supporting my baking habit! ;)


For the longest, I’ve been dreaming about making focaccia pizza. And if I can get this recipe down, I’m open to making it again when I get my hands on all the ingredients.


After incorporating the flour, salt, and yeast, I added my water. I mixed the dough with a spoon until it was pulling away from the bowl and then coated it with olive oil.



Now, this was around 8 in the morning. After a check up on my dough around 2 pm, it was about to come out of the saran wrapped bowl. 


So, I punched it down to deflate it and moved it to a larger pot. I added more olive oil, wrapped it with a new layer of plastic wrap, and am crossing my fingers the dough won’t manage to escape overnight.


The recipe I looked at said you could allow the dough to stay in the fridge to cold ferment for up to three days. I don’t think my dough will manage to stay in the bowl for longer than 24 hours!


But, if I ever get the chance, I’m up for the challenge and curious about how the dough will taste after processing in a cold fridge for 2 to 3 days.


After all, I was a huge fan of eating sourdough breads as a young child. Once I found out that sourdough starter could take a couple of weeks or be as old as a few years, I couldn’t believe it!


Unfortunately, I don’t have a bakery nearby that bakes and retails sourdough bread. And during covid, I was really frustrated by how everyone suddenly got into baking to pass the time.


So, here’s what the dough looks like. The dark flakes are an addition of dried basil.



Yes, I lament not grabbing some fresh basil leaves. But, if I have my way and make a focaccia pizza, here are the combinations I’m dreaming of making:


  • Fresh basil leaf, mozzarella, provolone, and mushroom

  • Olive, red onion, and thin plum tomato slices

  • Bell pepper, onion, and mushroom


And of course, for snacking, I’ll simply make a loaf with only coarse salt and olive oil, and nothing else. Then, maybe I’ll add a smear of pesto sauce… Who knows?


Until next time. Come back for an update on my progress!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corn: A Key Food & Staple Crop of the Americas

7 Remarkable Recipes Featuring Tomatoes. Right On Time For Summer!

9 Must-Have Spices You Need On-Hand In Your Pantry