Fall Has Arrived. Now What?

Hello Apple Season.


Probably one of the best fruits to celebrate the autumnal season are apples.


There are so many wonderful and delicious varieties of this fruit beyond Red Delicious.

Personally, I like Fuji, Honey Crisp, and Jonathan apples for snacking and using when baking. And the tart flavor and crisp body of Granny smith apples are always a welcome favorite and go-to when making pies and tarts.





If you haven’t checked out any baking recipes lately, you might realize that French Apple Cakes are a popular option. The recipe is simple and doesn’t require a lot of ingredients and the cake comes together quickly.


It’s easy not to mess this cake up, so if you don’t think you have the magic touch in the kitchen, give this recipe a try. You’re not likely to end up with an inedible disaster.


Recently, I had some success whipping up a French Apple Cake and baking them off in individual foil tins, rather than pouring my batter into a 9-inch springform pan lined with parchment paper.


Each mini cake was moist and delicious, albeit I regretted making one slight change. Instead of folding the thin, delectable slices of Honey Crisp apple into the batter, I placed a spoonful of apples at the bottom of the cupcake liners instead.


Before scooping batter over the apple pieces, I squeezed fresh lemon juice over each muffin liner filled with the fall fruit, and let it sit for 15 minutes. And of course, while going through these steps I had the oven pre-heating.


Next time, I would rather fold the apples into the batter and perhaps make the cake recipe the night before I want to bake it off. Doing this, I hope to achieve an even more flavorful cake to enjoy and share.


So, what about you? Do you have any favorite fall recipes that require apples. It could be savory or sweet.


Apples are a mainstay and delightful symbol of the autumn season and harvest time. Maybe only pumpkins, squash, and corn are close second.


Here’s to crossing my fingers in hopes that this year the family and I will get a chance to visit an apple orchard to scoop up some cider, doughnuts, and of course a bag or two of fresh handpicked apples straight off the tree.


As much as I love baking and the thought of making my own applesauce, a bushel of apples would simply be too much to handle.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corn: A Key Food & Staple Crop of the Americas

7 Remarkable Recipes Featuring Tomatoes. Right On Time For Summer!

9 Must-Have Spices You Need On-Hand In Your Pantry